Drake Relays outlook

Xavier Potts, Staff Writer

One of Iowa’s most historic track and field events is just around the corner as the 113th annual Drake Relays kicks off Thursday, April 27th. Bettendorf will be represented in eight different events across the boy’s and girl’s slate.

On the girl’s side of the action,  Maya Williams leads the team qualifying in four different events including the open 400 meters, 4×800, 4×400 and runs the anchor leg of the Sprint Medley Relay. 

Williams is no stranger to racing on the blue oval; she is a seven time state qualifier as a sophomore and is now a 10 time Drake Relays qualifier for the Bulldogs. 

“Qualifying in four events definitely feels good, it’s an improvement from last season. I’m a little nervous but it’s also really exciting,” said Williams.

Teaming up with Williams for the 4×400 and the 4×800 in her first time running track is sophomore Mackenzie Schaefer. Schaefer is primarily a soccer player as she is rostered on the varsity squad, but has put in her time with the track team this spring as well.

“It was kind of a last minute decision, coach Kalar called my dad about it and thought it would be a good idea. I was pretty much like YOLO,” said Schaefer.

Schaefer did run on the varsity cross country team in the fall, so she isn’t new to running. Coming into the season, Schaefer knew her events would likely be 400s and 800s

We need to be confident and trust each other, if we do that the handoffs will be clean. If everything goes right, we should come home with a medal

— Brooke Magistrelli

.

Schaefer also admitted that qualifying for Drake didn’t really cross her mind, but now she’s running in two events.

“I’m so nervous, I know my team will do good, and I’m glad I’m going on a relay,” said Schaefer.

Another multi-qualifier is senior captain, Brooke Magistrelli. Magistrelli will be competing in the Sprint Medley as well as the 4×100. 

Magistrelli is only one of two seniors to qualify for the Bulldogs, so heading into what will be her final Drake Relays is something special.

“It’s exciting that almost all of our relays qualified, and I’m really excited to run at Drake one last time with my teammates,” said Magistrelli.

The Sprint Medley relay, made up of Magistrelli, Williams, Carson Bohonek and Cecilia Spector comes in seeded fourth. They will be the highest seed out of any Bettendorf qualifiers. 

“We need to be confident and trust each other, if we do that the handoffs will be clean. If everything goes right, we should come home with a medal,” said Magistrelli.

On the boys side of the action, it is just Zach VanWychen who is racing at Drake. He comes into the open 400 seeded 13th out of a field of 16.

Qualifiers: Girls Track

Maya Williams – 4×400, 4×800, Sprint Med, 400m

Cecelia Spector – 4×100, Sprint Med

Carson Bohonek – 4×100, Sprint Med

Brooke Magistrelli – 4×100, Sprint Med

Emily See – 1500m, 4×800

Mackenzie Schaefer – 4×400, 4×800

Calista Rasmer – 4×400, 4×800

Anna Ostrom – 4×100

Tessa Teagarden – 4×400

Qualifiers: Boys Track

Zach VanWychen – 400m