Bettendorf places second in Hunger Drive competition

Eva+Fiedler+and+Claire+Franzman+use+teamwork+to+help+load+the+truck+on+loading+day.+

Eva Fiedler and Claire Franzman use teamwork to help load the truck on loading day.

Lauren Johnston, Staff Writer

Bettendorf High School was able to raise 64,636 pounds of food which will provide 192,728 meals to families in need within the community. Bettendorf High School student council came in second place overall last week and beat their own personal record. 

Forty-four student council members worked hard for six weeks and their dedication paid off. The class of 2023 student council members have raised 150,000 pounds of food over their four years of service for the Hunger Drive.

Activities that brought in donations included capture the cans, class competitions and fill the truck. Competitions against other students brought in the highest amount of donations, especially when students were given rewards for the most donations.

Getting student involvement makes students feel like they did something for the process and in the community. The Riverbend Food Bank donates thousands of meals everyday so it’s definitely a very impactful thing even; if you donate one dollar, it can completely alter the course of someone’s day.

— Josh Gunn

Cata Fernandez, junior student council member, believed having prizes such as donuts or taping social studies teacher John Jacobs to a chair brought in the most student participation. 

“We planned out the weeks by having a fun spirit week since that’s how we get more student involvement and taping Mr. Jacobs brought in more donations as well,” said Fernandez. 

Hunger Drive spirit week raised 37,000 dollars and ended with a pep assembly where the class  that won the advisory competition got to tape Jacobs to a chair in front of the school. 

At the pep assembly, the junior class  won the minute to win it contest and all together they raised 500 dollars. Cash is the easiest way for high schoolers to donate, explained Josh Gunn, senior student council member, since it allows for them to be involved.

For such an important event, student participation was  a crucial factor. Student council alone couldn’t collect the amount of donations they did without the school coming together for such a meaningful cause. 

“Getting student involvement makes students feel like they did something for the process and in the community. The Riverbend Food Bank donates thousands of meals everyday so it’s definitely a very impactful thing even; if you donate one dollar, it can completely alter the course of someone’s day,” said Gunn. 

On the final Hunger Drive day, student councils partake in traditions such as making predictions of total donations in the morning and using an assembly line to load the truck. The goal for this year was 60,000 pounds and they were able to beat that total by 4,636 pounds. 

Schools in the area that participate in Hunger Drive go to the final rally at the Riverbend Food Bank. This year, area schools were able to raise 817,038 meals for the 23-county service area that Riverbend provides for. 

Student council vice president,Victoria Neece,  is looking forward to seeing their work continued in future Hunger Drives. 

“As a senior, I’m sad I can’t do it in the future but I also know I’m leaving the student Hunger Drive in good hands. I know the things that we have implemented are going to be able to grow within student council,” said Neece.